Skill Level: Beginner, Skill Development: Layups, Shooting & Footwork. This is a great drill for beginners who want to learn how to drive to the hoop and score. The two step layup allows players to move quickly to the basket while being balanced and controlled. If speed to the basket is required because you have defenders to beat then the 2 step layup is a good choice. Layups win games so it is important to develop great layup technique. Learn the basic technique before using them in games and before practicing layups at game speed. When mastering this drill you should be able to perform a right sided layup at game speed.
- In a triple threat position, start on the right side around 3 steps behind the 3 point line.
- With your eyes up, lock in your target (the basket).
- Dribble the ball with your right hand towards the right side of the basket.
- When arriving closer to the basket, on your last dribble make a large step with your left foot (this step is not included as part of the two step as it is made on the final bounce of your dribble).
- 1st Step – As soon as you stop dribbling, take your first step with your right foot. This step needs to be a long step towards the basket and controlled.
- 2nd Step – While maintaining your control, step with your left foot and jump high to give you an upward momentum to help complete the layup.
- Lift your right knee up high on the jump to protect yourself. Your shooting-side knee is up into the air as you jump off your opposite foot.
- Shoot with your right hand.
- Try and swish the ball off the backboard.
- To help avoid injury, complete a balanced landing on both feet.
- Players MUST be in control of their body as they perform their layup.
- Keep your eyes up so you can read the defence.
- The first step needs to be long and controlled and needs to gain a long distance towards the basket.
- If you lose control then you have less chance of scoring.
- The second step needs to be controlled and balanced and the focus is a high jump off off the step.
- On layup, protect the ball so it cannot be easily stripped away from you.
- If you feel like you don’t have balance and control and you are struggling to score, slow down and focus on your layup technique.
- CHALLENGE YOURSELF: When you have mastered the technique, practice at game speed. Be explosive!
- Win games with your Layups and Be Awesome!