Skill Level: Intermediate, Skill Development: Shooting, Jabs & Footwork. The drill is designed to help you develop the skill of a foot jab to help you create some space from your defender to help you to quickly get a shot up to the basket. From within shooting range, learn how to jab, balance and shoot quickly. Master this drill by learning to jab quickly, balance, practicing your left and right foot jabs and being explosive from any position around the hoop.
- Start in a triple threat position around the foul line.
- Jab step towards the hoop with your right foot. This is a quick step forward and putting some weight behind it while keeping your left foot grounded.
- Step your right foot back, balance yourself and take the jump shot.
- Get your rebound and repeat from a different spot around the hoop.
- Jab step towards the hoop with your left foot. This is a quick step forward and putting some weight behind it while keeping your right foot grounded.
- Step your left foot back, balance yourself and take the jump shot.
- Try different Jab directions. Forward, forward left, forward right and sideways.
- Remain balanced. Don’t rush the shot and ensure you are balanced before taking the shot.
- Jab like you mean it! The jab needs to look like the player is about to dribble or possibly pass the ball.
- Make the jab look real, put some body weight into it
- Practice Your Jabs and Be Awesome!